10 timeless truths for admins
By Colette Carlson
Business communication expert Colette Carlson shares her timeless truths that collectively influence admins' professional and personal success.
10 game-changing secrets to leadership for admins.
1. Embrace change. The pace of change is only going to accelerate, so the quicker you adapt to new technologies, protocols and even office design, the saner you'll stay. Better to be an early adopter than a constant complainer who gets left behind.
2. Everything counts. Every thought you think, every decision you make and every email you send either moves you toward or away from becoming an exceptional employee. Do you choose to judge another's comments or assume positive intent? Engage or refrain from gossip? Quickly send or carefully proofread emails for clarity and understanding?
3. Your network is your net worth. Connect with individuals that can hire you or help you get ahead, gain a skill or introduce you to a person of influence. Don't just think locally, but regionally, nationally and globally. Add diversity to the mix in age, gender and talent.
4. Be a go-giver. Give of yourself, your talent and time. Share your expertise and skills with new admins, lead a meeting or provide unexpected backup to struggling departments. Givers give generously without conditions or expectations of anything in return.
5. Be interested vs. interesting. The greatest gift you can give another is to truly listen with your eyes, ears and heart. Listening fully tells another person they matter and you genuinely care.
Learn from a celebrity assistant why—and how—admins should step up as leaders within their roles.
Tap into limitless professional growth...
6. Dare not to compare. Comparing what you're feeling inside to what another is feeling outside is an unfair comparison. The only person you should ever compare yourself to is the person you were yesterday.
7. School is never out for the pro. Do you choose to be educated through biographies, business books or self-help books? Or, do you choose fast and easy entertainment? To go to the next level, you have to grow to the next level. Read nonfiction books, take online classes and attend conferences.
8. The answer is always no if you don't ask. Do your homework, build a case and go ask for what you need to succeed. Even if the answer is no, you'll know more than before.
9. Feedback is a gift. We can't change what we don't see or acknowledge. Rather than resist feedback, use it to adjust your behavior and go further faster.
10. Speak your truth. Your success demands you get comfortable with uncomfortable conversations. Say what needs to be said with respect and candor.
Bonnie Low-Kramen—personal assistant to Oscar-winning actress Olympia Dukakis for 25 years—knows from experience that it is increasingly necessary for assistants to step up as leaders within their roles. And she wants to tell you how.
Join us January 19 for Game-Changing Leadership Secrets from a Celebrity Assistant. In this fast-paced 75-minute session, you'll discover:
Bonnie's high energy and inspiring presentation will focus on the ways to leverage your powerful role and relationships resulting in a renewed commitment to excellence and superior results. Ask your question directly to Bonnie. Register today!
- 10 game-changing secrets to leadership
- What "going above and beyond" really means
- How leadership works in a support role
- Approaches to build healthy, productive and respectful relationships between assistants and managers, and assistants and fellow staff
- Importance of mentoring as a key to success
- Speaking up and finding your voice
- Ways leadership can transform your career.